[Bf-gamedev] New loop normals/tspace needs testing

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 22 20:57:11 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

I (hopefully) mostly finished first step in loop normals work. Now, all
objects have the option to enable loop normals (with an optional angle
threshold above which edges are always sharp). Once enabled, final
derived meshes (structs representing objects to draw or render) gets a
normal CD layer for their loops (and a tessellated version for its
tfaces as well). Those loop normals allow to represent flat faces and
sharp edges. As a temp UI, I added loop normals and angle options in the
"Item" panel, "Properties" of the 3DView.

Code can be checked out from my svn branch,
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/vgroup_modifiers

These data are used in OpenGL preview (only when "VBO" option is
enabled, for now, I prefer to modify viewport code as few as possible
currently!), and for tangent space compute as well (note that for this
one, I assumed it is only used over final dm, this may not be always
true, have to check this yet). These are also the same as exported in
OBJ and FBX.

Only remaining TODO for this first step is to export TSpace in FBX (btw,
if someone could provide me one or two simple ASCII FBX files with
TSpace data, would be nice ;) ) - and of course, to test!

I hope the core algo to compute loop (split) normals is now OK (I fixed
two bugs here recently :/ ), but esp. tspace/loopnormals combinations
are to be checked carefully (baking)…

Cheers,
Bastien