[Bf-gamedev] Triangulation Modifier changes, and feedback

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 1 21:07:54 CET 2013

Hi Dalai,

Awesome! I can't wait to see the changes in a build!

Triangulation is very important to ensure consistently correct baking
(anyone who says different either doesn't care or doesn't know any
better ;) ) but it is also very important to ensure that it is as
non-destructive as possible to allow the flexibility of having to go
back and adjust geometry without having to convert to quads which can be
error prone and time consuming.

Quads are not needed for game ready meshes as they are converted to tris
anyway on import but the important thing is that the triangulation is
performed before baking and the same triangulation is used on the game
mesh. As we can't guarantee which method of triangulation is used in any
other program it is down to the artist to ensure that it remains
consistent throughout the pipeline. However, in Blender triangles
restrict the ability of the artist to edit a mesh in a fast and
efficient manner so it isn't really a good idea to work on a
triangulated mesh in this way.

The method of triangulation doesn't really matter from a rendering
perspective  as GPUs can brute force pretty much anything with relative
ease (aside from very long thin triangles) and we don't do things like
tri-stripping any more because it's just not worth the effort for the
extremely minimal impact of performance.

That said, shortest diagonal is the most consistent way of applications
triangulating a mesh as the mesh will always have the same results vs
other perhaps more involved triangulation algorithms. So having it as
default makes sense I think.

The ability to rotate edges would be great but not at the expense of
changing the triangulation algorithm from shortest diagonal so unless
there is a way to do this I would prefer to do any edge rotating after
the fact once the modifier has been applied before export.

Cheers,

-Andy