[Bf-funboard] B?zier-based geometry

Gustav Ekenberg gustav.ekenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:25:50 CEST 2018

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 17:09:09 +0700
> From: David Rodriguez <effetagroove at gmail.com>
> To: bf-funboard at blender.org
> Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] Bf-funboard Digest, Vol 154, Issue 1
>
> perhaps  are you talking about nurbs?
>

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 09:28:36 -0400
> From: Aaron Carlisle <carlisle.b3d at gmail.com>
> To: "Discuss Blender's functionality." <bf-funboard at blender.org>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] B?zier-based geometry
>
> I think you are looking for the surface objects:
> https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/surfaces/index.html
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 07:26:26 -0700
> From: David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com>
> To: "Discuss Blender's functionality." <bf-funboard at blender.org>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] B?zier-based geometry
>
> The 3d spline surfaces you are talking about are called NURBS. However,
> they are generally hard to work with for many reasons you can read about -
> including trimming, seams, and uv mapping.
>
> Subdivision surfaces are a type of curved surface which is modeled with a
> polygon cage instead of following a spline. It is a bit like controlling
> the spline points in 3d.
>
> In art and character modeling, it is more common to use subdivision
> surfaces, or to model in NURBS and tesselate to polygons.
>
> NURBS are more commonly used for precise shape modeling, such as part
> manufacturing, where precise shape control is important but uv mapping is
> not.

Nurbs/surface objects are not exactly what I was looking for, but
pretty close! Hash Animation:Master, like Howard Trickey pointed out,
seems to have the kind of Bezier functionality I was looking for.
Nurbs and subdivision surfaces could be an interesting alternative
though, thanks for pointing me in this direction.