[Bf-funboard] Bézier-based geometry

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:26:26 CEST 2018

The 3d spline surfaces you are talking about are called NURBS. However,
they are generally hard to work with for many reasons you can read about -
including trimming, seams, and uv mapping.

Subdivision surfaces are a type of curved surface which is modeled with a
polygon cage instead of following a spline. It is a bit like controlling
the spline points in 3d.

In art and character modeling, it is more common to use subdivision
surfaces, or to model in NURBS and tesselate to polygons.

NURBS are more commonly used for precise shape modeling, such as part
manufacturing, where precise shape control is important but uv mapping is
not.