[Bf-funboard] "Frame Dropping" and "AV-Sync" should be only one mode.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 20:43:10 CET 2017

I am not sure but I think Frame dropping keeps the film going at normal
audio speed by dropping frames when the video becomes slower than the
audio. AV-Sync does not drop frames (but I think the playback and get
messed up if the video is to slow.).

Google is your friend.

4. Synchronize Playback
<http://blender-manual-i18n.readthedocs.io/ja/latest/editors/timeline.html?highlight=Frame%20dropping#synchronize-playback>
[image: ../_images/Animation_Red_FPS.jpg]

3D View Red FPS. 60:54.75

When you play an animation, the FPS is displayed at the top left of the 3D
View. If the scene is detailed and playback is slower than the set
*Frame Rate* (see *Dimensions Presets*
<http://blender-manual-i18n.readthedocs.io/ja/latest/render/output/video.html#render-output-dimensions-presets>,
these options are used to synchronize the playback.
No SyncDo not sync, play every frame.Frame DroppingDrop frames if playback
is too slow. This enables *Frame Dropping* from the *Playback Menu*.AV-syncSync
to audio clock, dropping frames if playback is slow. This enables *AV-sync*
 and *Frame Dropping* from the *Playback Menu*.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 8:23 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Mario Sottile - Marionetas Mey <
> mariomey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that Blender should have only two modes, called: **No-Sync** and
> > **Frame-Dropping**. And this last mode, obviously, should have audio and
> > video synchronized.
> >

> I'm not familiar enough with the issue to comment on what the current
> "frame-dropping" mode is for....but IMO we should *not* rename "AV-Sync"
> mode to "Frame-Dropping", or have the two available options be "no-sync"
> and "frame-dropping". That is very confusing, as it drops the most
> important label from the latter mode, which is that it performs an
> audio-visual sync.
>
> If the "frame-dropping" mode isn't useful, it seems more sensible to just
> remove it and have "No-Sync" and "AV-Sync". If it is useful, perhaps it
> should be renamed to be more clear what it's for. (since it's *purpose* is
> obviously not just to drop frames)
>
> Does anyone know exactly what the distinction between "Frame dropping" and
> "av-sync" is right now?

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.