[Bf-funboard] "Frame Dropping" and "AV-Sync" should be only one mode.

Mario Sottile - Marionetas Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 04:28:59 CET 2017

I made some tests with a blend file of mine and a chronometer. My
computer is not so fast... so:
**No-Sync**: Chronometer: 1min, Blender: 17sec.
**Frame-Dropping**:  Chronometer: 1min, Blender: 46secs
**AV-Sync**:  Chronometer: 1min, Blender: 1min.

What's the point to have a **Frame Dropping** mode, while having
**AV-Sync** that goes exactly the same as the real clock... and it also
drops frames? It's confusing.

I think that Blender should have only two modes, called: **No-Sync** and
**Frame-Dropping**. And this last mode, obviously, should have audio and
video synchronized.

This is not actually a bug. Or maybe yes... and it is about "Frame
Dropping" that does not play well... I don't know.

Thanks.

Some history.
In 2.49:
- The default playback was actual "No Sync"
- "Sync Playback to Frames/Sec" option was actual "Frame Dropping".
- "Synchronize with the VSE sound" (speaker button), played sounds from
VSE. Now, Blender always plays sounds, even with "No-Sync". This option
became in "AV-Sync", I think.
- Also, there was "Sequencer Windows" option, that let play all VSE
windows at the same time. This option is no more, now all windows/panels
are synchronized.

--
Marionetas Mey

Mario Sottile - Director