[Bf-funboard] Mask tool as input to Cycles nodes

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 06:09:20 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Cycles allows you to use simple gradients could we also use Blender's Masks
as vector sources to derive gradients?

I have been making false perspective animations with image mapped planes,
using offset parallax mapped but I need to animate masks on the images
based on their 3D view.

Could it be possible to use Blender's Mask tool as input to Cycles nodes? I
could still use the UV/Image editor to draw over the texture source there?
Or could I load the source image into the MCE and animate the mask over
time?

I guess that the problem is that the Mask is produced "after" 3d image
drawing but before post processing? That is why Masks are available to the
VSE and compositor?

I think that this would be a very beneficial tool for Cycles as a Motion
Graphics device. I'm not sure if the same functionality could be
incorporated into Eevee? That would make Motion Graphics production
blisteringly fast.

Thank you for reading
Cheers
David McSween