[Bf-funboard] Suggestion to the 'Unlock "view offset lock" for Lock to Cursor'

Kalcifer Kandari kalciferkandari at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:16:41 CET 2016

Hello,

This is in response to this thread
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-funboard/2013-July/005252.html.

I am one of the people who uses 'Lock to Cursor' to travel around my models
and scenes quickly. When I click something I usually want that to be in the
centre of the screen, because by definition that position is where I want
my focus to be.

Since this commit
https://developer.blender.org/rBc5748f3cc7551c0ded385a782312bd8171818839,
the behaviour of 'Lock to Cursor' has changed. Now if you click with the 3D
cursor, the camera will follow, but the cursor will move around the view as
you are doing so.

Now, to travel to a location and centre the screen at the cursor, you must
click and then press home. Every time.

'Click, home, click, home' ensues.

I understand why panning was added to the 'Lock to Cursor' option, however
it removed an extremely useful and efficient behaviour that many people
relied on to work quickly, with no alternative that comes close.

So I have 4 counter proposals to the change that was made.

The *first *one is to add a checkbox sub-option called 'Keep Centred' to
the 'Lock to Cursor' option, where 'Lock to Cursor' behaves as it does now
without 'Keep Centred' selected.

The *second *is a bit of a compromise, which is to change 'Lock to Cursor'
such that the view is centred to the cursor every time it is moved, but
still allowing panning. Could be a bit janky and confusing.

The *third *is simple, when clicking with the 3D cursor with 'Lock to
Cursor' on, instead of the cursor being moved across the view, it stays
where it currently is in the view, and the only way move it within the view
would be to pan. Which means if you don't pan, the cursor is just left
where it is in the view, such as the centre.

The *fourth *is a combination between one and three, just add a 'Panning
On' checkbox sub-option instead of 'Keep Centred', where the cursor is
locked wherever in the view it currently is, and 'Lock to Cursor' functions
as it does now without 'Panning On' being selected.

Please make this change. I suspect three would be the easiest to support,
with one and four being the most popular, with four maybe having the edge.

*TLDR, with the 'Lock to Cursor' option selected, the cursor shouldn't move
around the view, unless panning.*

Regards,

Kalcifer