[Bf-funboard] Loading Screen for Blender

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Wed May 11 02:54:25 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 5:16 PM, gandalf3 <zzyxpaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my slightly-beefy linux machine it takes 9 seconds if I haven't
> started blender in a while, and a little under 1.5 seconds otherwise.
> (counting from launch to until blender is fully usable).

I can't speak for blender foundation, but to me 9-15 seconds on a HDD seems
like a long enough time to justify either speeding up startup or making a
clean loading splash, if someone wants to do the work. That said, the world
is moving to SSD, so this problem is slowly but steadily disappearing on
its own.

> It's worth noting that on the first run in a while, there is usually a
> long delay filled with disk activity before the splash screen of either
> gimp or audacity even appears. I imagine this is similar to the 7.5
> second delay blender sometimes experiences.
>
> This makes me wonder if the delay caused by slow IO operations is even
> practically progress-bar-able. Chances are it'd end up being one of
> those progress bars that doesn't move for 10 seconds then jumps to
> complete all at once..

It takes some time for the OS to load the EXE, load the DLLs, and run their
inits before any code is going to run. It would surprise me if this was
7.5s even on an HDD, but I suppose it depends on how much the DLLs do
during their init. One way to get around this is with a separate
lightweight tiny "splash launcher" which has no dependencies and just puts
up a splash before launching the real app -- but IMO effort like this would
be better spent making startup faster.