[Bf-funboard] Feature Request: Uniformity setting for the Decimate modifier

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:24:52 CET 2016

Here's an example of how decimate can be made more uniform taking edge
length into account.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideasman42/pics/decimate_uniform.png

https://developer.blender.org/P336

However this example is so simple, we would want to have some more
complex tests to really see its impact.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Julio Iglesias <j at zafio.com> wrote:
> Maybe this doesn't constitute a "especially bad" case, but it was for me:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2294713/cushion.blend
>
> I would swear Decimate did a better job with those UVs in past versions...
> :?

Which version? Tested 2.66, and didn't notice significant difference.

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Jacob Merrill
>> <blueprintrandom1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > also +1 for a 'preserve symmetry' ?
>>
>> This was added for 2.77
>>

>> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.77/Modeling#Modifiers
>>

>> > also, UV does not seem to work like it used to...
>> >
>> > I check it, decimate, and then a whole slew of UV mapped faces get
>> merged...

>> Yep, would be good to support custom-data checks to delimit seams,
>>
>> Could someone provide a test-case where collapsing UV's gives
>> especially bad problems?

>> it

>> is ok

>> but