[Bf-funboard] New compositing and VSE monitor tools

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 14:54:41 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, Feb 21
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM, David McSween <3pointedit at gmail.com>
> >  wrote:
> >
> >> Douglas,
> >
> > You must remember that the VSE strips are unique to the VSE. You can load
> >
> > movie clips elsewhere (tracker, compositor) but they do not correspond
> with
> >
> > the VSE directly. The only way to import media from elsewhere in Blender
> >
> > (IIRC) to the VSE is via Scene strips or Masks. A VSE Movie clip strip is
> >
> > only a local, unique instance of another datablock elsewhere in Blender.
> >

> OK, and now I understand this but it should not be this way to the user.
> When a film clip is in blender then it should be in blender and usable
> anywhere. The way it is now is very obtuse to the end users.
> So when it is loaded there should be one apparent film clip or picture.
> Clearly it has two data forms; one in the VSE and one in the rest of
> blender.
>

> > So what you are describing in the bug workflow is not strictly what is
> >
> > actually happening. The VSE only uses local instances of external media.
> >

> So it is not a coding bug but I would still describe it as a functional
> bug. It is something that could be made much simpler from the user's
> viewpoint.
>

> > The actual current solution is to define other scenes as wrappers for
> >
> > external media. That is a scene would be named for the camera clip or
> shot
> >
> > that it holds. This scene would have a Compositor set for grading the
> shot
> >
> > and its corresponding audio strip on its own VSE timeline.
> >

> I am not clear  on your use of the word scene. In the info window there is
> a pulldown that says default and one that says scene. Are you talking about
> these scenes?
>
> Yes a scene in this case is just a regular Blender scene, they can be used
for different animated shots or for creating compositor effects. These
scenes can become available to the VSE as a strip.

> So I think you mean that we load in a movie clip and it has 3 data
> components: VSE sound and VSE video and linear data for the compositor etc.
> Is that correct? All this together you are calling the Meta Strip? Really
> the sound should not be part of the meta strip because it can be cut at
> different places than the video. I see no case where the VSE video and the
> compositor video would have different cut points.

You are right, having the separate audio from the video, in a metastrip, is
preferable (for J or L cuts) where audio should precede or trail shot.
Unfortunately Blender opens source media with any associated audio as
separate strips. These strips are not linked in any way on the timeline, so
they can easily loose sync without reference to each other. The suggested
workaround is to group them together as a metastrip. however you cannot
edit the audio of a metastrip (but you can edit the audio of a  scene strip
(but not separately to the video).

> > In your master edit scene, you add the camera native strip and this
> >
> > Composited/color grade scene strip and Meta strip them together. You
> would
> >
> > then cut with the metastrip (using a proxy of the footage if required)
> and
> >
> > at picture lock, switch to the graded scene strip.
> >

> > This workaround(?) fails to provide correspondence between the edit and
> the
> >
> > source footage however, so multiple grades from alternate sections of the
> >
> > same source media could be an issue. This depends on length of source of
> >
> > course, as single short shots probably don't change much. While long
> screen
> >
> > captures or wild recordings can last hours (changing all the time).
> >

> > Troy would suggest that clearly defined shot listing would resolve this
> >
> > later issue.
> >

> > What is a shot listing? Is it a list of film strip and photos?
>

> Typically film editing produces edit decisions, that is a list of shots in
order that includes their start and stop times (in point and duration) and
location on the time line. If you know these times you can reconstruct all
of the edited shots by length in their own scenes.