[Bf-funboard] New compositing and VSE monitor tools

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 10:06:29 CET 2016

> As you may have inferred, the VSE has been hacked to have a non-linear
> reference space while the compositor uses a strictly linearized one.
>
> Why not use a linearized reference space in the VSE then? Why not use
> linearized reference spaces everywhere? Why aren't we fixing this? Why?!
> Why?! Why!!??
>
> Those questions, and many more, much like the nuances of colour, are
> extremely complex once you begin to peel apart design needs. :)
>
> With respect,
> TJS
>
> [1] This is a critical distinction between display linear and scene linear,
> which are two diametrically opposed concepts. Scene linear is typically how
> ratios of light are stored in a scene referred reference space such as the
> rendering output from Cycles, where the values range from zero to infinity.
> Display linear is the downgraded display referred range of values. The two
> are very different models, with very different impacts.

OK, so then working in the compositor and doing color grading in the
compositor is a valid concept that will work. This leaves the VSE good for
high speed scrubbing.
This also means that having scopes as output nodes is a valid idea.
Also a VSE channel input node in the compositor might be of some value.
Correct?

I would love to know more about all your whys at the end!

Thanks.

--
Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.