[Bf-funboard] New compositing and VSE monitor tools

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:16:38 CET 2016

> Observe. See the horrible dark fringing in the blurred region of the star?
> This has nothing to do with alpha format or such, and everything to do with
> not operating on a linearized reference.
>
> All manipulations in the VSE, from overs to dissolves to you name it, are
> broken in this way.
>
> If one can understand and see the brokenness in this simple example, the
> answer to “Why a linearized reference model?” is now clear; the colours are
> not mixing as they do “correctly” in reality.
>
> With respect,
> TJS

Thank you for that example!
So this happens because the Red to no red curve is not the same as the Cyan
to no cyan curve?
This happens because we are using fast math and not correct math?
This will happen after the film is rendered out also or only in the viewer?

Do we have the same problem in the compositor?

Thanks.  I hope I am not wasting your time. Rather have you programming
than educating me. :-)

--
Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.