[Bf-funboard] New compositing and VSE monitor tools

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:27:48 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are several problems with this at the moment:
>   1) The VSE should use a reference space that is linearized. Ideally it is
> scene referred, linear. Currently it is display referred nonlinear. Every
> operation regarding compositing therefore is fundamentally broken.
> Regarding grading, this impacts alpha bound plates etc.

I don't understand this but I will take your word for it. Why don't we fix
it?

>   2) The VSE in terms of "ranges" should be, given it works with Cycles,
> utilizing the same reference space that leverages the full scene referred
> values. I'm relatively sure right now it has some cripples on the display
> referred ranges, making the concept of grading a nightmare.

Again, same comment.

>   3) Given (2) above, Blender as a whole needs to have colourspace
> selectable UI controls. That is, if the reference is scene referred linear
> for example, the curves tool needs to be able to have whatever imager
> driven transform applied, per node. This would make it viable to grade with
> curves on a Cycles render, as an example. As it is now, if middle grey is
> mapped at 0.18 (which isn't always necessarily the case), about 18% of the
> curve region covers the entire perceptual range from display referred black
> to display referred middle grey. Similar issue with dealing with above
> middle grey roll-off.
>
> As a viable path forward, migrating the VSE to a "strip view", as well as
> adding a "grading node" toggle to go with the three existing modes, would
> probably work toward remedying this situation.

I think I got that bit but not even sure here. It would be wonderful and I
would think important to do color grading in Blender.

> With respect,
> TJS

How about adding these monitors to the compositor as node outputs viewers?
It is true that we have a couple of these monitors in the VSE but even
there they are very primitive compared to the shots in the tutorial. There
examples of have R, G, and B channels viewable all at once and then
adjustable is a powerful tool that I would like to have!

Thanks for your time!
 Douglas E Knapp