[Bf-funboard] Text Effect could use a font change setting...

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:43:20 CET 2016

Hi there,

This would be pretty basic functionality that seems okay to have. We
shouldn't go further with current sequencer though, new functionality
should be kept basic with small maintenance needs.

First I thought it was easy enough to go to quick hack list for newer
developers to pick up. After deeper investigation I figured it isn't
as easy as it sounds though (tm) :S Also talked to Campbell about it,
who said the same:
Main problem we have is that our font handling isn't designed for
cases where multiple type faces need to be loaded and drawn
frequently. It's more like - load a font, keep it in memory and draw
the interface with it until user selects a different font.
For font previews in file browser we just load the individual fonts,
draw them once and store the resulting images. The stored images are
small and few enough that they don't take up much memory.
Text objects use a special way to read their fonts which is designed
pretty specialized for generating text objects based on curves (See
VFont struct).

We'd basically need a way to do this more efficiently for such
use-cases as the one you suggest. This is totally doable, but it would
take some days at least (and should be done carefully).
So long story short, it's doable, but not really straightforward. If
anyone is willing to try it, your welcome of course.

Cheers,
- Julian -