[Bf-funboard] Add an input to frame number/offset on video and image sequence node?

Tiago Estill de Noronha TiagoTiagoT+Bf-funboard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 22:19:47 CET 2016

Is there any technical reason why the frame number (or offset or whatever)
on the Image Texture node (either in image sequence or in movie mode)
doesn't have a node input, or did the devs just never bothered adding it?
(I'm mostly concerned about Cycles, but the compositor and the old renderer
might benefit as well)

It would facilitate a lot the use of image sequences as volumetric data,
not to mention allow for some interesting effects on videos and stuff.

In case someone gets inspired by this and decides to implement it; here's
how I'm picturing it: Leave the start and offset parameters unchanged to
keep things familiar (though, having inputs there could be useful as well),
and use the currently unused W channel of the UVW input to control the
frame (or rather, frame offset, on top of the one explicitly defined), with
integer values going to exact frames, and values with decimals
interpolating between frames (simply crossfading if you can't get something
more advanced from the video compression algo), respecting the cyclic
setting. That is just a suggestion of course, if you can think of a better
way to approach it, feel free to go with that instead.