[Bf-funboard] Custom velocity data for motion blur

Gatis Kurzemnieks gatis.kurzemnieks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:21:58 CET 2016

Thanks for answer, Kevin!
It is awesome that you already worked on this to support alembic velocity.
I'm not much of a blender coder my self, so let's hope someone (or you? ;)
) will pick this up and get it into master branch. This would be fantastic
to have fully working alembic pipeline with Blender!

Gatis

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Kévin Dietrich <kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org>
wrote:

> Le 2016-11-15 11:49, Gatis Kurzemnieks a écrit :
>
> > Hi all.
> > Would It be possible to implement using vertex colors as mesh velocity
> data
> > for motion blur (that seems like most easy solution)
> > It would allow importing meshes with changing geometry with Alembic (with
> > vertex velocity stored as color) and render correct motion blur. It would
> > be UBER userful for rendering cached fluid sims, particle systems etc.
> > imported from i.e. Houdini.
> >
> > Gatis
>
> Hi,
>
> Vertex colors are stored in Blender using the face loops not the
> vertices, this allows to have face varying colors, where the same vertex
> connected to multiple faces can have multiple colors. So until we have
> proper vertex colors stored once per vertex, using them for motion
> bluring is not really feasible. Though it is a good idea.
>
> Alembic does have special storage for the velocity data so we could use
> this information to do motion blur. I started working on a patch [1]
> months ago, but couldn't finish it. At last check there was a couple of
> issues, but if you can compile Blender, feel free to try it out.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kévin
>
> Links:
> ------