[Bf-funboard] Keyboard Shortcut "ctrl" with Rotate in Object Mode Improvements

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 22:06:20 CEST 2015

Fixed :)

For future reference, manual "bugs" like this one can be reported here.
<https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/create/?project=53>
Or if you feel in the mood, you can even fix it yourself and upload a
patch (I've written some instructions here:
http://meta.blender.stackexchange.com/q/859/599)

On 09/13/2015 06:53 AM, Alberto Torres wrote:
> After a bit of searching I found the offending page:
> https://www.blender.org/manual/editors/3dview/transform/transform_control/precision.html#holding-ctrl
>
> While transforming an object, ctrl means inverting the enable/disable
> status of the snap tool. Someone with editing rights should add this at the
> beginning of the section:
>
> "Holding Ctrl will toggle the Snap tool until it's released. The following
> explanations assume that the snap tool is as its default state (disabled
> and snap to increments of grid)."
>
> Having the "snap tool" words linked to the snap tool page, and maybe this
> pic http://i.imgur.com/cNYVI8T.png
>
> Cheers.
>

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Ethos Erlanger <ethos.erlanger at comcast.net
>> wrote:
>> I find that when I press the keyboard shortcut "ctrl" to rotate by 5 degree
>> increments while I am attempting to rotate an object does nothing UNLESS
>> the
>> "increment" subset of the Snap tool is selected. (Apologies if I described
>> this wrong.)  As a user, my expectation is that a shortcut key should not
>> be
>> dependent on the menu choice when choosing that menu option "Increment"
>> makes it work as I would expect the "ctrl" shortcut to work.
>>

>> I see four options here:
>>
>> 1)    Leave it as is - AND update the Blender Reference Manual to fully
>> explain the limited definition of the way it works
>>
>> 2)    Determine that this is a bug and treat it as such by fixing it so
>> that
>> the "ctrl" works with Rotate when any Snap submenu option is selected
>>
>> 3)    Remove the "ctrl" as a shortcut and document its removal, commenting
>> that the "Increment" works as needed for Rotate
>>
>> 4)    [not a reasonable option]  --  Invite someone or anyone to create a
>> tutorial outside of the Blender Reference Manual that can be found by
>> searching via Google for the term "Blender Rotate"
>>

>> I really prefer option 1) or 2)
>>

>> Ethos Erlanger

-gandalf3