[Bf-funboard] Middle click paste

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu May 21 03:02:29 CEST 2015

Hi,
ideasman42 at gmail.com (2015-05-21 at 1039.38 +1000):
> Blender currently uses middle-mouse for 'pan' in 2d views - so it
> conflicts a bit.
>
> Also, if we use MMB for paste, then it follows we should support
> select-to-copy...
> We _could_ do it for X11 only... if there was a well implemented patch
> to support... I guess it could be OK.
>
> But am not really motivated to work on it myself.
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I really miss the middle button paste text function that I have in every
> > program but blender.
> > Is it possible to add it?

There is no select to copy as such, but just select text and handle
primary selection (= short lived buffer). Clipboard copy/paste is not
the same, even if by how it works, it could look so, they work in
parallel to primary. http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html has a
good explanation of these X11 methods and their relation to each other.

GSR