[Bf-funboard] Access VSE timing/trimming of strips

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 03:25:02 CET 2015

Dear Devs,

Can we define all 'input movie's' metadata via VSE usage?

Tracker:

Blender’s ‘Movie Clip’ asset type cannot store multiple start frame and
durations, once set per scene it is fixed. It can be iterated for the VSE
but not for Nodes.

Materials:

Blender's Image Texture input must have frame start and offset, set by
key-entry of data.

Compositor:

The Image/Movie Input node must similarly have an offset and frame start
defined manually.

None of these media inputs types are associated with the *exact same media*
that appears in the VSE.

Suggestion:

Can we define any of these types by a VSE source strip?

Once the source strip is scene defined, (in the VSE), it is stored as an
array of timing, duration and scene offset values per use. Currently this
appears in the Outliner view as an iteration eg. Scene 'Name' -
my_video.001, my_video.002

It would be helpful to access this "timing / trimming" information
(altering frame start/end and offset) at each of the related input types
-Movie Clip / Movie Texture / Input Node Image/Movie.

If you don't want to use the "VSE Defined" version then you would simply
not select that asset type from the dropdown of loaded sources.

I believe that all of the metadata is already available in VSE datablocks.
What is wrong with simply transferring frame values between datablocks?
How would this break dependencies?

Thank you
David McSween
3pointedit