[Bf-funboard] Feature request: customizable VSE strip labels/captions (or at least more logically arranged)

slinkeepy . slinkeepy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:30:04 CET 2015

Hi there,

I use blender (currently 2.74) for my video editing projects (and apart
from a few issues, love it!), but have felt for a long time there should be
a way to customize the text displayed on the VSE strip overlays...

I never have a need to see at a glance the full path of the file or the
strip ID... so why can't I remove/change it? Simply the filename and
framecount would be ideal for me. Information overload clouds the data
that's meaningful, and as the view is zoomed out, the labels become useless
(as it aligns left, cutting out what I want to see).

In particular, I would love it if the multicam selector strips could at
least display the selected channel *before* the strip ID, so as I zoom the
view out I can easily see which channel it is set to (would be a very quick
code fix I assume). A center align would go great with that too!

Ideally if string make-up was customizable, alignment would also be too.
And maybe it's too complex, but even some sort of adaptive string display
would be good... i.e. when there's room, display full detail. When strips
size is too short, display a cropped detail selection.

If someone would like to add this functionality but it is not considered a
priority, I would be happy to fund it - email me!

David