[Bf-funboard] "Convert to Mesh from Curve/Meta/Surf/Text" renamed "Convert to Mesh"?

Pekka pekka.tilit at aijai.org
Sat Mar 7 17:13:12 CET 2015

On 7.3.2015 9:58, Knapp wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Pekka <pekka.tilit at aijai.org> wrote:
>
>> Right now the title implies that it doesn't handle Mesh to Mesh
>> conversion, for times when you want to apply the current modifier stack
>> or take a duplicate snapshot of the current state.
>>
>> I remember going after a wild goose chase a number of times trying to
>> find this feature, when it was under my nose all along.
>>
>> "Convert to Mesh" is easier to read and understand.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Pekka Heikkinen
>>

> How do you see a lest detailed description as more informative? BTW I had
> no idea you could use that to apply the mod stack. What do you mean by
> duplicate snapshot of the current state? Why and how would you do that?

I've mostly used mesh 'snapshots' at work to create a still-pose library
of people for use in industrial visualisation renders. The scenes are
complex enough without adding a few dozen skinned characters in. This
was in 3dsMax, though.

The thing with the current naming, it list a specific bunch of objects
it can convert, but it's missing at least one, making the feature really
difficult to find.

I'm fine with

    Convert to > Mesh from Curve/Meta/Surface/Text/Mesh

but I wonder if

    Convert to > Mesh

would suffice? Perhaps it should just raise an error message if it finds
you trying to convert an object it can't work with?