[Bf-funboard] Audio tools in the VSE

Nkansah Rexford nkansahrexford at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 23:17:05 CEST 2015

> Audacity is great. However when you're editing a documentary film or
> anything longer than 30 minutes, exporting to Audacity or other softwares
> and importing again can be a really tedious process. One of the greatest
> thing about blender is that you can do nearly everything without leaving
> the software, a great advantage as opposed to most commercial softwares I
> know. So why not have audio tools in it? At least simple tools such as a
> denoiser?

I'm no sound engineer dev, yet, its easy for a user to ask for a feature
which is 'simple to use' but doesn't really look simple in code, not even
simple to do at the programming level.

A feature that's easy to use at the interface doesn't necessary mean it
was/is easy programming. Reading this:
http://legacywiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Noise_Removal paints a clear idea
how its almost impossible to get a 'holy grail' button that removes noise
in one step, even with professional audio editors.

Although denoiser is/will be a nice feature to have, even if started today,
I doubt such addition will be great for production soon.

I've also edited documentaries (not as long as 30+ minutes though), and
taking time to remove and tweak my sound in a professional suite before
importing to Blender was the best approach. Simply spend a couple of
minutes (or even hours, depending of length of sound) getting your sound
right, import to blender, then be chopping them step by step and
rearranging them around in union with the video.

Unless for non-serious videos production, I personally wouldn't use Blender
for sound denoising (even if it had one) for tweaking my sound. I'll prefer
doing it in a professional (dedicated!) suite before letting Blender take
over.

+Rexford <http://google.com/+Nkansahrexford> | khophi.co
<http://khophi.co/about>