[Bf-funboard] Automatic Shader set-ups

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:45:36 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Greg Zaal <gregzzmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> This has been wanted for a long time (https://developer.blender.org/D474);
> the main issue is the design of such a feature. Should these shader presets
> be built-in node groups? or like the other preset system? Or new shader
> nodes?

IMOHO, keep it simple. You are clearly correct that it needs to stay
simple. I don't know what other do but I mainly start with the mix,
glossy,diffuse. If I need to, I build off of that but in most cases that is
good enough. Glass or whatever is very seldom used compared to this node
set up. I would like to hear what others think about this!

> Let's not discuss the messy order of the shader list in this thread though,
> I'm working on a proposal for that and will start a new discussion when
> it's ready.

Thank god! I really don't care what order they are in as long as they stay
that way. I can learn any order that is stable.

> And max undo was recently changed to 256 :)
> https://developer.blender.org/rBfa9e42b5 - would be curious to test if
> pumping it up to 2048 and purposfully trying to run out of memory will
> break stuff.

I have been pushing for this for some time and I am glad that it has been
change. I picked changing it to 2048 based on my research of how much
computers have grown since it was set at 64. To really push it I think we
would need to shoot for a much bigger number, 8192? If you look at it from
the, "how much does anyone ever need to really undo" question, then 256
might be enough but I would even now be temped to push it to at least 1024.
Would you push the undo button 1024 times? :-) I have quite often run out
of undos at 64 when working on mesh ideas!