[Bf-funboard] Automatic Shader set-ups

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:13:16 CET 2015

This has been wanted for a long time (https://developer.blender.org/D474);
the main issue is the design of such a feature. Should these shader presets
be built-in node groups? or like the other preset system? Or new shader
nodes?

If we eventually agree on that, then we have to agree on what presets to
have - only diffuse mixed with glossy? What about fresnel in there? Should
the fresnel use the fresnel node, or the layer weight node? Maybe we should
also have a "thin glass" shader (transparent mixed with glossy and some
back-facing math)? And a smoke and fire shader? The point is, where do we
draw the line between common and useful, and useful but uncommon? We could
have a list of 20 very useful presets, which would become just as hard to
navigate as the current shader list.

Let's not discuss the messy order of the shader list in this thread though,
I'm working on a proposal for that and will start a new discussion when
it's ready.

And max undo was recently changed to 256 :)
https://developer.blender.org/rBfa9e42b5 - would be curious to test if
pumping it up to 2048 and purposfully trying to run out of memory will
break stuff.