[Bf-funboard] Dynamic scaling Render Res for VSE playback

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 05:11:21 CET 2015

I think we need better real time playback in VSE when system resources are
stretched.

Today I was adding a title from 3D view over a video in the VSE.
At 100% render resolution I saw 30 fps playback, but this dropped to 4 fps
when I struck the 3D title.

The VSE preview shows the current FPS (differing from scene setting) so
Blender knows when to drop frames for playback.

Next I scaled the percentage of render resolution to 25% (arbitrary value)
and played the shot with 3D, I saw 30 fps again.

Could we add to the Playback menu (currently - AV Sync, Frame Dropping, No
Sync) Render Scaling ?

Eg. When frame dropping is sensed drop Render Resolution to predetermined
minimum value, and scale preview to fill same space as before (zoom the 25%
render res up to 100% render res display size).

This would retain real time animation preview which is better for animation
sync. I would expect to still drop frames but be more efficient with the
display buffer.

Cheers
David McSween.