[Bf-funboard] VSE to compositor to VSE pipeline

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:18:34 CEST 2015

On 08/27/2015 06:51 AM, maximo remedios wrote:
> I agree, there is no better open source NLE out there. Blender has the
> potential to become a powerfull editing software, many would benefit from
> that.
>

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM, David McSween <3pointedit at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I understand you desire to use the VSE as an NLE but, Ton has already
>>> suggested that we should not expect effort to be placed in this
>> direction.
>>> There are simply to many optimisations and UI changes required to bring
>> it
>>> up to speed. No matter how close it may seem.
>>>
>>> However, anyone who uses external media in the VSE should be using the
>> VSE
>>> addon Easy-Logging 2.0 from http://www.easy-logging.net It is an
>>> exceptional rethink of the current Blender architecture.
>>>
>>> It provides an interim solution for metadata tracking, like asset naming
>>> and allocation of in/out points etc.
>>>
>>> Back on topic, perhaps I could ask the author (Nicolas Priniotakis) if it
>>> would be practical to transfer VSE media information into image/movie
>>> datablocks?
>>>
>> He has been saying that for years and for years the users just keep using
>> it as a NLE! LOL, it is because there is nothing else out there to do the
>> job unless you want to run MS and pay for it. In any case it keeps very
>> slowly being pushed in the direction of NLE. The slow boiled frog never
>> jumps out. :-)
>>
>> I can understand that he does not want to commit resources (people) to
>> making it a great NLE but I think it would be great to have.
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.
I too have run the circuit of open source video editing programs and
come to the same conclusion. At least for the (admittedly limited) video
editing I do, Blender is actually the stablest and (for me) the most
usable option (thought shotcut <http://shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut>
shows promise).
That said, it the VSE is quite slow and full of little quirks, and I
find that anything more complicated than cutting and splicing often
requires some odd hacks.

It would be nice to have the full power and flexibility of a node based
system (like the compositor) integrated with the VSE, though I agree
that this isn't what the compositor is designed for.

--
-gandalf3