[Bf-funboard] VSE to compositor to VSE pipeline

Olivier Haveloch olivierphoto03 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 16:24:11 CEST 2015

Hi everybody,

Blender's ability to go from the VSE to the compositor and back to the
VSE is great. There is an addon that makes the process a bit more user
friendly (link bellow). Yet, when doing a VSE to comp to VSE, playback
of the added strip in the VSE is very slow and rendering time of these
strips edited with the compositor is really really long.

I've exchange on this with Julian Eisel who said the following:
"I think the slow playback speed is mostly due to the Add-on that
manages the data flow (python is much slower than C) but I'd guess
that the compositor also needs to re-composit for every frame? Not
sure about that though... However, there is an issue with
VSE<->Compositor communication, that many people overlook: While being
able to input data from the
Compositor to the VSE is fine, it can't work the other way around in
parallel, since this would create a circular data flow. From a
pipeline perspective, VSE and Compositor are to different editing
stages. Compositor is basically for combining/compositing elements,
VSE is for video editing and final touches. The work in the Compositor
should always be done before the VSE is touched. That said, it's also
fine to have some Add-ons providing limited support for
VSE->Compositor workflow, but doing this in the C backend would be
highly dangerous. The VSE definitely needs a rewrite."

Edit script with compositor addon:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?221567-Edit-strip-with-compositor&p=2236974&viewfull=1#post2236974

Cheers,

Olivier