[Bf-funboard] VSE proxies

maximo remedios maximoremedios at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 11:03:10 CEST 2015

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Well if it's a bug and if it's something that
eventually be fixed, great. For info I can import maximum ten 4K files at a
time and when you do so, blender freezes for 30 secondes (not responding)
and eventually unfreezes and you'll see the files in the VSE and only then
you can select image files to generate proxies in a batch way. I have
nearly 200 files to generate proxies from everytime I do some editing with
Blender so now it's quite a tedious task to generate proxies ten files by
ten files. Tha's why I was looking for alternative external solutions for
low res/proxies. I'd be happy if one day I can import 200 files at a time
and in one batch tell blender to generate proxies.

I'd like to suggest if I may that blender proxies have similar file names
to the high res file and that an option enables you to generate proxies
with sound if one wishes.  Here is why: when you're editing a documentary
or any project where more than one person is involved, the ability to watch
the low res proxies outside of blender file names identical to the high res
file is an advantage because it means that you can watch these low res
files with any software on any device, email them if you want, they become
a precious collaborative tool. Other situation where proxies with correct
files names and sound can be usefull: just image you want to watch all the
footage you shot in low res on a tablet while you're in public
transportation. Blender proxies have no sound and the name of the files is
proxy_25 or proxy_50, etc...So you cannot use these low res files outside
of blender. If you want to rate files on a tablet while you're in public
transportation or on a computer that doesn't have blender installed on, you
can't do that with blender proxies. For these reasons,  if blender proxies
had similar files names to the high res file and if there was an option to
generate proxies with sound it would be really usefull. And if this too
complicated, the ability to tell Blender to use proxy files generated
outside of Blender without having to give the right path for each file
would be fantastic: such folder has proxies, in such folder, low res files
have identical file names to the high res files, blender would
automatically connect low and high res files.

Best