[Bf-funboard] Matcap Viewport - possibility to choose viewport matcap for each material

Adam Preisler adam at preisler.me
Thu Apr 30 12:13:33 CEST 2015

Campbell: I already have real cycles materials on the model, but most of
the time I spend in the viewport modelling and I would like to assign
different matcaps to different parts of the body (bones, muscles, teeth).
-------
Pawel: As you can see in one of the pictures I render in cycles, not GLSL,
therefore I would have to switch between materials to have custom matcaps
everytime I want to render/model.
-------
Matcaps are great though, and I think it would greatly enhance the opengl
viewport if you can have the steel matcap for steel material for example.
Or the bright green one for tree leaves, golden one for gold material,
shiny coloured ones for plastics, the first two for car paints, brownish
one for mud or wood and so on. Maybe even ability to blend between matcap
shading and mapped textures.

I still think there should be a classic matcap-overrides-all setting for
modelling, but I would love to be able to set matcaps per material the way
I set viewport color and viewport specular color for example.