[Bf-funboard] Access VSE timing/trimming of strips

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:57:17 CEST 2015

Looking at this problem what i see is a lot of fragmentation of external
media.

Currently you cut a shot in the VSE against other shots. This is fine for
Blender generated media (animations), but problematic for external source
media (real world footage).

If you want to use a filmed shot, for example someone on a bridge
interacting with a giant robot hand, you cut for timing once in the VSE
master edit scene, then manually transfer that information (source media
and path, timing offsets etc.) to another scene or .blend file for
compositing and animation. there is no correspondence between media
elsewhere in Blender.

Currently a SINGLE camera clip can be:
Shot_1 > VSE strip
Shot_1 > Object Texture
Shot_1 > Movie Clip (tracking)
Shot_1 > Image/Movie input Node
Shot_1 > 3D background clip
Shot_1 > UV Image display paint-able image

Would be nice to unify their source and timing metadata. They could all
still be made "Free" or unique (move out of sync with same asset elsewhere
but retain relationship with some defined master (storing decisions as
metadata).

Media handling seems a bit funky and widely distributed in Blender due to
age? Perhaps timing descisions could be made in the Movie clip viewer (no
sound support though better playback cacheing) so that multiple marked
"ranges" could be made and stored for later application.

"Ranges" in this case being pre-chosen portions of a longer clip, defined
by clip timecode or runtime and assigned meaningful search terms.

Thanks.