[Bf-funboard] ALT+B possible for cycles rendering?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:21:08 CEST 2015

It would be possible to make a nodegroup which could control a global
"render area" with a few value nodes inside the group.
Using a script to tack this nodegroup on the end of all material node
setups wouldn't be too hard..

Would something like that work?

Of course, it would be nice if there was a more native way to do it.. ;)

On 04/20/15 19:04, Adam Preisler wrote:
> I know these tricks. I even know one that I invented myself, dunno if
> someone already did it, but you can use Value 1.0 White Glass BSDF with IOR
> 1.000 and through Light Path node tell materials to act as transparent if
> the ray is Transmission. That is pretty cool for animating cutouts and
> having a bit of freedom.
>
> But all this is based on materials. You'd have to alter a LOT of stuff in
> the scene for this to work correctly on large complex scenes. Clipping
> border for cycles would be amazing, but I fear it is not possible to
> achieve given the implementation.

>> On 04/20/15 02:45, Adam Preisler wrote:
>>> Hi you blender gurus!
>>>
>>> I am not sure how many of you are familiar with Clipping border (Alt+B)
>> in
>>> 3D View. It's pretty great for architects and I imagine many complex
>> scenes
>>> too.
>>>
>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/122837iAFB084CC2EE45883?v=mpbl-1
>>> But it would be great, if such thing would work in cycles renderer.
>> Try this: http://blender.stackexchange.com/q/2663/599
>> Any parts of the mesh outside of the UV square will end up transparent,
>> simulating the behavior of clipping border.
>> Also see this question: http://blender.stackexchange.com/q/8600/599.
>>> I know that this is a completely different topic, but since planar
>> mapping
>>> as opposed to spherical mapping of camera (
>>> https://developer.blender.org/T34197), which I thought was almost
>>> impossible to fix, has been fixed in blender lately, I'm giving it a try
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Also I have to say, that spherical mapping was good for some cases, it
>>> would be great to still have the option to switch back.
>>>
>>> MY QUESTION - is it possible to have cubical camera limits for example?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Adam
>>>
>>> Blender user since 2.36 and a czech student of architecture
>>
>> --
>> -gandalf3

-gandalf3