[Bf-funboard] Suggestions about planar tracker

Jorge Vasquez yorch.vasquez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 17:50:10 CET 2014

Hello Blender minds,

I'm Jorge, I'v been a Blender user for the past couple of years.
I enjoy it immensely and I appreciate all the hard work put by you guys:
developers and dedicated users to make it better every day.

I've been following this board for a while now, but until now, I feel that
every time, that I've had though of something worth contributing here, It
has already been discussed.

That is to say that maybe this has been already discussed and I just don't
know about it, but I noticed that the planar tracker (not the new feature
"plane_track" solver, but the old point tracker that uses the "Perspective
motion model" is a really powerful tool, that might be under utilized at
the moment and could help make the plane track solver ( the  new feature
now) more useful and robust.

I say this because I noticed that when you create a tracker with the
"Perspective motion model" and you track something, that track already
contains information about 4 corners ( "pattern_corners" in the python api
at least, don't know much about the inner workings of it though) that could
be used in itself to create a plane track, without having to create three
more point tracks for instance.

I feel also that it would be useful to be able to have a similar
functionality as the one in "link empty to track" but that allows you to
create four empties at once using information from those corners.

As it is the infromation is only been used (I guess) for the inner workings
of the tracker and to make a stable track, but there is useful information
there that could be interesting to be able to access it in a more
straightforward manner.

I hope It all makes some sense.

Once again thanks guys for your time and effort put into this awesome
project called Blender. I hope I can somehow collaborate and get involved
in it.

--
Saludos,
Jorge.