[Bf-funboard] Inset modifier mockup

Moolah moolah at mail.ru
Sun Mar 2 20:38:00 CET 2014

Hello Hadrien,

Yeah, I've thought about this at the beginning, before the 1st post.
I guess, it can be avoided. Or maybe it's time for some API changes
if it's worthy and reasonable :)
No! No tagging :) Actually it will be also useful with Dynamic Paint.
New cool dynamic effects will be available. Just imagine, you're
moving a "brush" and making dynamic creases on objects.
Also it will be useful with Booleans since Carve will be giving
outputs from borders vertices as vertex groups (if not already).
This case will be REALLY useful (only if Carve supports). It's
possible now but isn't dynamic.
It's the case:
Create a cube, duplicate, move the second to somewhere (intersecting
with some corner of the 1st), Add Boolean (Difference, Cube.001) to
the 1st cube. Hide 2nd cube. Add Subsurf to 1st.
You see some smooth form. If you want to crease the "eaten" piece then
you apply Boolean, go to Edit mode, select inner faces (produced from
Boolean) and make Inset there. The crease appears and it's great.
I've just checked this in Blender.
Yes, this case gives almost the same result as using the Bevel
modifier (or the command). But in some specific (and common) cases
Bevel will fail and Inset will be the ideal solution.
Another pro as I see it's that the array of the Boolean's difference
will be selected (or selectable) anyway. It's one piece. For Bevel
you need to select Boundaries. It's solvable (we already has the
command) but this will be slower (I suppose).

People, is the Inset command faster than the Bevel (with the minimal
settings of course)?

Anyway... Hadrien, I think I've answered to your question about "face groups" too.
Look to my answer for Julian, please.