[Bf-funboard] So what is up with the undo?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 02:25:33 CEST 2014

On 06/20/14 02:23, Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Its an arbitrary limit, but!
>>
>> Undo's are stored in memory at the moment, and in some cases they use
>> a lod (shape-keys in editmode for example that can eat up a lot of
>> ram),
>>
>> There is code in Blender to write undo state to disk, but currently
>> its not used.
>> If we want to have a really high undo limit probably this should be
>> enabled.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:37 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There were a bunch of posts about this but no dev ever said why it was
>>> limited to 64 undos.
>>> Is there an answer?
>>>
>> --
>> - Campbell
>>
> So Campbell, can we change this arbitrary limit from 64 to 1024 or
> something? It seems that computers have advanced a lot since that number
> was picked. Also it is settable by users so we could still default it to a
> low setting and let users increase it to what they want. Just wondering
> what is, "a lot of ram"? Do we have a test blend I could try out and see
> how much ram is used and thus what might be the max undo for a computer
> with 32gb ram so that we could set the max to something that is not
> arbitrary but within reason? Do we have code in place to catch a system
> that is overusing its memory with too much undo?
> Thanks!

We already have an option in user prefs which allows to limit the number
of undos by the amount of memory used, however the number of undos is
still always capped by the /steps/ value in user prefs (which has the
hard limit of 64), even before the memory limit is reached.

It would be nice if setting /steps/ to 0 would limit the number of undos
only by how much memory is used..
Is this possible?

--
-gandalf3