[Bf-funboard] So what is up with the undo?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 11:23:28 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Its an arbitrary limit, but!
>
> Undo's are stored in memory at the moment, and in some cases they use
> a lod (shape-keys in editmode for example that can eat up a lot of
> ram),
>
> There is code in Blender to write undo state to disk, but currently
> its not used.
> If we want to have a really high undo limit probably this should be
> enabled.
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:37 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There were a bunch of posts about this but no dev ever said why it was
> > limited to 64 undos.
> > Is there an answer?
> >
> --
> - Campbell

So Campbell, can we change this arbitrary limit from 64 to 1024 or
something? It seems that computers have advanced a lot since that number
was picked. Also it is settable by users so we could still default it to a
low setting and let users increase it to what they want. Just wondering
what is, "a lot of ram"? Do we have a test blend I could try out and see
how much ram is used and thus what might be the max undo for a computer
with 32gb ram so that we could set the max to something that is not
arbitrary but within reason? Do we have code in place to catch a system
that is overusing its memory with too much undo?
Thanks!

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!