[Bf-funboard] Copy Transform Constraint needs Offset

Jeffrey H italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 02:22:43 CEST 2014

I agree that there should be an offset checkbox for copy transforms.
However, the way it functions is fundamentally different from a parent
constraint. A parent constraint is designed to change the child's transform
space (to take the place of hierarchical parenting), which you can offset.
However, a copy transform is meant to transfer each attribute from one to
the other, not change the space. A ChildOf constraint changes the space. If
you want to parent constrain, that's the constraint you would use, not copy
transforms.

I'm certainly not opposed to putting that option into copy transforms, but
if you're looking for similar functionality, ChildOf is the way to go.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Hadrien Brissaud <hadriscus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think what Ajlan refers to is the "offset" checkbox in copy loc, rot and
> scale constraints that is missing from the copy transforms constraint.
> That's right, it's weird when you think of it. You can achieve this by
> having three constraints (copyloc, copyrot, copyscale) but that's
> unnecessarily clunky.
>

> On 18 June 2014 00:50, Jeffrey H <italic.rendezvous at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A parent constraint is equivalent to the ChildOf constraint. It's similar
> > in function, but you can key the child object in addition to the
> > constraint, which is useful for animation.
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:37 AM, Ajlan Altug <ajlanaltug at genesys-da.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The title says it all... It's kinda sad to see that the most constraint
> > > rich 3DCC application such as Blender lacks a ctrl to offset
> constrainee
> > > values on the "Copy Transforms" constraint. I'm trying to
> > > "parent-constrain" one object to the other and the lack of an offset
> > > parameter, either through an XYZ slider set or a single Boolean is
> > killing
> > > me... :(
> > >
> > > Cheers;
> > >
> > > --