[Bf-funboard] Increase Maximum Undo Steps

Alexey Akishin alex at science.su
Sat Jun 14 05:34:54 CEST 2014

On Friday 13 June 2014 20:51:14 Greg Zaal wrote:
> Currently, the user may set the Maximum number of undo steps in the User
> Preferences, I assume to prevent clogging up the memory. However there is a
> hard limit of 64 steps, which in my experience is often not enough. For
> example, when sculpting, texture painting, editing meshes and sometimes
> tweaking values of many similar things.
>
> Is there some fundamental reason why 64 is the limit? If a user has, say,
> 32 GB of memory, why should he be capped at 64 undos?
	Perhaps, reason for small 64 limit is that undoing more steps could be too slow? But computers are much faster than they were at the time when 64 limit was implemented, so it would be nice to have more undo steps. Maybe better upper limit would be 512, or perhaps hard upper limit is not really necessary because there is undo memory limit?
	I think it also would be great if it was possible to set undo steps to "unlimited": for example, if user sets undo memory limit to 4GB and number of undo steps to 0, then Blender would remember as much undo steps as possible within given memory limit.