[Bf-funboard] The Lack of inability to perform Batch operations in Blender

Ajlan Altug ajlanaltug at genesys-da.com
Mon Jun 2 17:09:27 CEST 2014

Thanx Kev for your reply. I come from Softimage and am used to writing my
scripts in VB (old old school, I know :( ), but am in the process of
teaching myself Python in Blender. Your suggestion is pretty reasonable,
and had I really been into coding in Blender, I had an idea to remedy this,
by preparing an addon that replicates the property panel to the tee, that
could be used to propagate every adjustment done in it to multiple objects
selected. That would be a good addon to have. But nevertheless, I do hope
the devs will read my post and hopefully respond to it, cuz implementing a
full batch adjustment capability always beats a run-time for...next loop in
terms of speed especially.

Cheers;

AJ

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Kévin Dietrich <kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org>
wrote:

> Hi Ajlan,
>
> I don't know if such feature is on any roadmap. But for the most part,
> you can write a little python script to get such work done.
>
> For example, in the case of the subsurf modifier, you can do it like so:
>

> import bpy
>
> for obj in bpy.context.selected_obects:
>
>  try:
>
>  obj.modifiers['Subsurf'].levels = 2
>
>  except KeyError:
>
>  print("No subsurf on this object")
>
> This will set the "view" level of all the subsurf modifiers in your to
> 2.
>
> You could add 1 "render" level with:
>
>  obj.modifiers['Subsurf'].render_levels += 1
>
>  etc...
>
> This is basic blender/python scripting for task automation. You look for
> more info on that subject on BlenderArtists.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kévin
>
> Le 2014-06-02 16:24, Ajlan Altug a écrit :
>
> > Hi;
> >
> > I'm wondering if there are Blender users out there who feel the need to
> > perform Batch attribute adjustments on multiple objects in Blender on a
> > daily basis. Blender is downright fantastic, there's no doubt. The amount
> > of attention and thought put into almost every aspect of it astounds me
> > persistently. Yet, working in 3D means having to deal with tons of
> objects
> > at a time. I have numerous objects in my scene with subSurf modifier
> > applied to each and every one of them. If I want to change their
> > resolution, as of now, I need to dive in there, bite the bullet and
> tackle
> > this task one object after the other, which is likely to take at least 15
> > to 20 minutes of my precious time. Is there anything in the devs' agenda
> > tackle this issue in the near future? A spreadsheet a-la Maya will be
> > clunky and unweildly, but the ability to adjust parameters from the
> > properties panel after selecting multiple objects would be a needed and
> > welcome addition to Blender.
> >
> > Cheers;
> >
> > AJ

Ajlan Altug