[Bf-funboard] Will mathematical equasions be default?

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:08:50 CET 2014

Just a quick question to know where we will be at.

In trunk there is a new feature that allows instant mathematics to use on a translation, scale or rotation.
This seems like a great addition and I applaud it. But will it be default? I ask because it hides the current way Blender does things behind an extra keystroke that you need to hold (CTRL) the whole time.

While this doesn't seem too much of an issue that extra kestroke will make easy manipulations slightly longer and more akward EVERY time. This can amount to a huge number. And the thing that takes it's place while useful doesn't seem that useful for the majority of users.

It seems much more viable that you just press a shortcut to initiate the equasion,and one to end it (Tab? Insert?) ,as that seems a less frequent need then what Blender has done for years,and has been honed to perfection. The key needed for that equasion just needs to be shown in the header.

I'm not opposed to change, I welcome this one as well. But I'd like to urge you to consider the ergonomics of this change as a default.
It's like equasions in the textinput field,they are useful,but they are not default. They are there for those who need them. Unobtrusive but present.

If this was default just for the purpose of testing though,then I appreciate the effort. I just want to be sure which direction Blender is going with this.
If this will be default regardless then I would urge for an option to change this default in any way ,so the user can choose which way to go.