[Bf-funboard] Questions re: mouse cursor in modal functions

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 04:47:23 CEST 2014

Sorry for blank mail, (gmail UI refreshed the send button under mouse!
tsk! - Blender isn't only app with UI issues :D )

Hiding cursor while orbiting the view could be OK, but also a bit
confusing when you exit your mouse will popup somewhere you might not
expect.

Making scale work differently is quite a big change, and you're not
suggesting an alternative - so not sure how to respond.
While it can be confusing at first - you get used to it and can take
advantage of it too.

It could work to compensate the difference from the center of the
selection to the mouse when scaling so as to give a constant
scale-delta based on mouse movement, would need to test it, it could
be a preference though all these interaction preferences make the code
difficult to maintain, so personally I'm not really interested to add
this just now.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Jude Jackson <syzygy6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks, this is just a question, maybe it will open things up for
> discussion or at least solidify the concept, but I've thought it was odd
> that in certain mouse-movement-based modal function, the cursor remains on
> screen and moves during the function, even if the cursor itself is not
> really relevant and could just disappear.
>
> For example: in rotating the 3D view, the operation does not account for
> the location of the 3D cursor, just its motion (I'm not at my computer to
> confirm right now (or for a couple more weeks), but I think you can even
> continue to rotate the 3D view by dragging the mouse further than the edge
> of the screen).
>
> Another example: scaling/rotating an object in 3D view actually *does* use
> the mouse cursor (the function has something to do with the distance of the
> cursor from the origin of the object I think), but it results in an awkward
> scenario where the scale of the operation is set by the distance of the
> cursor from the origin of the object (I assume it sets that scale to 1).
> This system isn't wrong per se, but it is strange for various reasons.
>
> One recent example: Pie menus are basically a gestural input at their best,
> which I great. I understand that, as-implemented, it makes sense to use the
> cursor for selecting options if you don't know the appropriate gesture. But
> when it is working as a gestural input, it seem strange that it would use
> the global mouse cursor, because the user isn't trying to point at
> something.
>

> Now, I want to clarify that I don't think that the current paradigm is
> wrong. It's consistent, in fact, which is a strong foundation for UX
> design. But, I think it's worth examining the possibility of visualizing
> non-pointer-based mouse inputs without the cursor, and figuring out whether
> it's worth doing and how it would be done if it is.
>
> Cheers

- Campbell