[Bf-funboard] Converting toggle buttons to pie menus

Sean Olson seanolson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:29:34 CEST 2014

Hi,
I'm one of the author's of the pie menu addon, and psi-fi is working on the
implementation in finalized blender.  I don't mind your gearshift idea, and
it would be possible in the addon to create such a menu.   It might be a
good idea in menus that have lots of items.  (more than 8).  The reason
that the daisy wheel is used is because it corresponds directly to the 4
cardinal directions and the in-betweens.   N, S, E, W, NE, SE, SW, NW.  You
then can press, hold, and swipe a direction with your mouse.  You don't
have to read the menu entries at all and you don't have to have any actual
accuracy.  You don't need to "click" on any particular button - the whole
screen in your given direction is technically the button.   This makes the
"daisy" configuration tremendously fast.

I drive a manual stick in America too, and of course you don't use your
eyes on that either, but the big difference is this: Tactile Feedback.  You
can feel the gears in place, the position of the stick.   We don't have
access to this on a screen, so the fallback is to use your eyes to see the
position.   Of course using your eyes is fine, but it requires more
precision than to just swipe a direction.

As far as tap vs hold - it's been brought up multiple times in the pie
menus addon thread.  At first it sounds like a good idea, but how do you
determine when to do tap functionality and when to do hold?   How many
miliseconds?  If somebody gets really fast with the pie menu are they going
to hit the tap functionality by accident?  I'm pretty sure this has been
discussed here in more detail in this monster thread:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?267414-Pie-Menus-(2-66)-Update-01-28-13
 There might actually be some technical issues in implementing such a
feature in the addon(Patrick Moore coded that part), but it could fly in
final version.

-Sean