[Bf-funboard] Space saving UI proposal

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Wed Apr 9 21:07:02 CEST 2014

Antony Riakiotakis wrote:
> I like what I see in the modifier section.
I like some of what is proposed but not all of it.

I too would prefer to have more flexibility in where the panels go and
which ones are present. For example, I never use the grease pencil but
whenever I make a UV window I have to close it up to view the properties
below that I do use.

I know the view isn't universal, but I do like the way Visual Studio
2010 panels work: you can dock things together in almost any way, and
those are remembered; indeed, the program will auto-switch between
custom layouts (e.g. when you enter/leave debug mode). Almost anything
can be split and rearranged graphically. There are also some nuggets of
good practice in the Adobe Indesign, etc, apps: panels there can be in
several states (iconified, displayed in a sidebar, expanded in sidebar,
floating).

If floating panels were to be set up in Blender, though, I would like
panels to not be entirely independent: it is indeed useful to be able to
'stick' panels together and move them as a group without also having to
make them a 'window' of some sort.

One thing I'm not fond of is 'tabbed' design. I can just about cope with
it on the properties editor, but tabs are horrible when you might want
to see things on different tabs at the same time. If the UI design was
such that you could drag a tab header out of the tabs (as you can in
InDesign), and then later dock it again, then it's not a big deal, but
without that it would be a no-go for me.

For those who want the 'muscle memory' thing to work nicely, perhaps
there could be a 'reinstate initial setup' keyboard command, to move
things back to where they started. That initial placement would not be
permanently fixed by blender of course. Perhaps for the paranoid you
could have a a prefs option to disable panel movement once the initial
placement had been decided on.

Hope this is helpful,
Ruth

--