[Bf-funboard] Space saving UI proposal

Prashant Sohani prashant.sohani at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:08:14 CEST 2014

I found a copy of the paper over here: https://developer.blender.org/T39527

On initial (and very rough) scanning of the ideas; I think there are
several worth considering for sure. Needless to say, the floating panels
are not consistent with Blender's "no overlap" principle (which I am a big
fan of :D); yet the Figure 4 screenshot would convince anybody regarding
the merits of this tradeoff.
Apart from which; the better look of individual section headings etc, make
a lot of sense to me as well.

On the coding side though; there are some concerns regarding context
sensitivity.
The paper suggests "It's impossible to create any floating panels that are
unrelated to the current mode". Well, one often goes in and out of modes
such as sculpting.. I wonder what would the "sculpting brush floating
panel" do in such a case.. keep auto-showing and hiding when relevant?
Which would need one to remember the "floating panel layout" specific to
every "major and minor" mode. (Here major = Sculpt, Edit mode etc; minor =
more specific; such as the MultiRes panel in Fig 4 ; which is relevant only
when the object is selected )

Need to read more in detail though.

Regards,
Prashant