[Bf-funboard] Volumetric normals based on density gradient?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Apr 4 11:55:25 CEST 2014

Volume scattering functions don't use normals, so I guess you want to get
surface BSDFs working for volumes, which then need a normal?

Computing the gradient would make the material evaluation maybe 4x slower,
comparing to a volume scatter material, due to evaluating the texture at 4
points. The overall render time impact may not be that bad in practice
though.