[Bf-funboard] UI Mockups

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Mon Sep 30 01:01:46 CEST 2013

Troy Sobotka wrote:
> In my experience, no one is average. Every person brings with them a unique
> set of attributes and needs based on their experiences.
I agree entirely.

> A beginner learning 3D has radically different needs and expectations than
> say:
> *) A studio texture artist.
> *) A retopology artist.
> *) A matte painter.
> *) A mastering / color technician.
As an amateur 3D game modeller I can imagine some of the issues faced by
(1) above: I haven't a clue for the rest.

And this is where the Agile community's ideas of "user stories" have
real merit. Write down situations an actual user will come across and
how they might address them, and you come closer to creating UIs that
really do address situations.

To do this properly, it helps a lot to characterise (detail the life of)
the users who have user stories so that you can "get into their head"
sufficiently well.

If this approach were to be taken, it would probably be useful to
identify and publish suitable stories. I wouldn't mind betting that even
the process of doing that highlights issues that can be agreed on and
addressed.

Ruth

--
Software Manager & Engineer