[Bf-funboard] UI Mockups

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 20:15:52 CEST 2013

On Sep 29, 2013 9:54 AM, "Paweł Łyczkowski" <pawellyczkowski at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I would say that the decision about the importance of UI elements should
> be made according to how often an average person uses them.

Terms such as “average person” are also privileged.

This is why I generally avoid these discussions as the difficulties of
design often begin with language and sum up to very little real-world
design solutions.

In my experience, no one is average. Every person brings with them a unique
set of attributes and needs based on their experiences.

A beginner learning 3D has radically different needs and expectations than
say:
*) A studio texture artist.
*) A retopology artist.
*) A matte painter.
*) A mastering / color technician.

Etc.

Can we ever achieve a balance with the rather disparate archetypes of
audience members that currently assemble under the banner of “Blender
audience”? Likely not.

The positive side of this is that the more granular Blender becomes, the
more each area stands a chance of being honed to meet the needs of the
smaller studio situation Ton has publicly stated as a target demographic.

I fear that without the input of this particular and nuanced demographic,
the amoeba-like UI debates are nothing more than wasted energy. Moving one
way today, another tomorrow, with plenty of flailing of cilium and heated
arguments in between.

Internal consistency is about the best ‘progress’ the collective can aim
for, and make large improvements in.

Structured redesign discussions are worthless without the focused input
from the target stakeholders.

> I'm sure
> that certain parts are used less, or more, by both the new and
> experienced users.

The ratios of usage might help us discover where to rank functionality in
terms of progressive disclosure. Even then however, without examining the
frequency from within the target stakeholder base, as opposed to the random
existing usage numbers, the analysis would be fruitless.

With respect,
TJS