[Bf-funboard] floating windows don't stay on top!

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Thu Sep 26 18:26:28 CEST 2013

Harley Acheson <harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:

> These new windows are just child windows of the main
> application. If we want these to remain on top of the rest of
> Blender *or* on top of all windows, we'd need to add some
> z-order functions to Ghost. In Windows this would be a simple
> call to the Windows API I mentioned, SetWindowPos. There
> are different parameters if you want the window to just be on
> top of other child windows in the same application or on top
> of all other windows.

But that's just the thing... they're *not* just child windows. You could close
the originating window and Blender will happily continue working as if nothing
had changed (strangely, the User Preferences pop-up doesn't follow this
convention.. it does seem to to truly behave as a child window).

Now... should freshly split windows be considered children? I think that's a
discussion worth having. I'm not currently sold one way or the other since I'm
not hamstrung by a window manager that doesn't fully allow "focus follows
mouse" support. However, I understand the frustration someone may have in that
painful environment. That said, the primary purpose for splitting was to
support multi-head setups... should a user in that environment have to remember
which fully maximized Blender window is the main and which is the child? It
would be pretty confusing if closing one of those windows closes Blender, but
closing the other just closes the window.

  -Jason