[Bf-funboard] floating windows don't stay on top!

david j davidj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 05:34:32 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Jude Jackson <syzygy6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are plenty of reasons to want a window always-on-top, assuming there
> is ever a point during which you want a toolbar to be any size other than
> the width of another window. Usually a partial obstruction of the main
> viewport is more desirable than a full obstruction.

I think there are both philosophical and practical subtleties underneath
your assertion here. It is important to be *precise* about what is
requested, as the code is only going to do one precise thing! :)

First, blender philosophy is to avoid overlapping windows, and so down this
path we'd like to know the real *problem* you're trying to solve. Perhaps
there is a way to solve it well which fits into the non-overlapping
paradigm.

Second, assuming this is something that should be added, there are at least
three different "meanings" for always-on-top windows. (a) an OS global
always-on-top, which stays ontop of ALL other apps. (b) an application
global always-on-top which stays ontop of other blender windows, (c) a
free-floating 'subregion' within the blender window which accepts
ui-editors and is trapped within the OS-level window.

Which are you asking for? To me it sounds probably like "b", but it's not
clear without considering the use-case a bit more.