[Bf-funboard] UI talk + session at bconf

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Wed Sep 25 15:37:18 CEST 2013

Gatis Kurzemnieks wrote:
> I know interface pretty good, and with UI work I mean adding the missing
> things - proper outliner behaviour, materials window, your mentioned
> dependancy graph, multi object editing etc. No need to change what is good
> - only add what is missing and do little cleanup. Seems like high priority
> work to me.
A materials window would be nice: indeed, extend that for all resources.

Multi-object editing is my bugbear: the ability to have several objects
in edit mode at once. Mostly I want this because the unit of
replication/effects/transform - array/mirror et al - is the object.
Perhaps we could have group objects that can be manipulated as single
objects are now?

 From my PoV the UV editor auto-mapping is still in need of a lot of
love: it still takes far longer to do some tasks than it should.

The facility I would like most is to be able to replicate (somehow) a
specific hole in a shape (take arbitrary extrude, intersect with a plane
and make hole to match shape's intersection). Use-case: replicating
complex window surrounds over a building's face.

So: There are several good ideas in this discussion, and perhaps the
Conference is the time for someone to arrange a talk/meeting to arrange
how it will happen and who does it. I would agree the Blender community
needs someone to "own" the UI so we don't have these apparently endless
discussions. I expect the disconnect is something like: those who
understand UIs and using Blender and can produce an interface that works
well aren't in a position to (perhaps can't) code them, while the ideas
of those who might be able to code it aren't so popular. The solution is
obviously someone/some team who can assemble a group together and say
"do it".

FWIW, mostly I like the Blender UI. There are niggles but few are big
enough to get upset about. I'll mention just one niggle: on Windows the
default window selection is of course click-to-type, so if you duplicate
a window (view menu) because like me you have two monitors, it would be
nice if there was a way Blender could auto-select the other window when
the mouse went over it, because that is the way Blender's interface
works. It may be that the only issue is that the dupe'd window should be
a parent of the main one, and not independent, so it's always active.

[Setting Windows to point-to-type is a Bad idea: lots of UX things break].

Someone mentioned the undesirability for windows to be topmost including
other app's windows. In Win32, a child window of an app window -
whatever it looks like - that is topmost is always topmost just of the
child windows of that app. The app window has it's own z-order of all
app windows, so a "topmost" child can be hidden by other apps.

Ruth

--
Software Manager & Engineer
Tel: 01223 414180